It is important to be prepared in the event of a disaster. No matter the size or type of disaster, it is vital to make sure there is a plan in place for your business. Below are a few things you can do today to prepare your business for a disaster.
- First and foremost, purchase commercial insurance to protect your business. Take a look at our previous blog on what type of insurance you should have for your business.
- Have first aid kits and safety equipment on site. Take a day to train your employees so they know how to use them. Having your staff trained in basic first aid and even knowing how to do CPR is a smart idea (and required by OSHA regulations).
- When creating your plan, think about your evacuation routes and have them easily marked.
- Have it in your plan to immediately inform your customers about the disaster and if there will be some downtime in any projects you may be working on for them.
- Make sure your employees are informed. If it is a disaster where your employees have to work elsewhere, make sure your employees know about the second location. Also, keep an open communication with them so they know what is happening with the office and how long they may need to work elsewhere.
- Set up an emergency fund. In case of the event where you may have to pay to have your office rebuilt or new equipment purchased, having an emergency fund will be very beneficial.
Being prepared for a disaster will help your business bounce back and thrive through it all. These simple tips will help you do just that! Should you require any assistance when it comes to creating a business preparedness plan, Advocate Insurance can help! Conveniently located in Reading PA, we have a staff member who is trained in how to help businesses prepare for disasters. And as always, remember us for all of your insurance needs!
Advocate Insurance has over 20 years experience in the safety risk management and employee productivity fields. We also have the experience to help with your commercial insurance needs as well as car insurance and home owners insurance. We have assisted individuals in and around Reading PA with car insurance and home owners insurance. We also assist businesses in Reading PA and around the Berks County area with risk management and safety training services.