The holidays are upon us and with that comes decorating our houses to spread holiday cheer. But there are a few things we need to be cautious with when we are decorating to. Here are a few fire safety tips.
Hanging Twinkle Lights
Everyone loves driving around and seeing the homes that are decorated for the holiday season. For the individuals hanging the twinkle lights, be aware while you are hanging them. If a ladder must be used, here are a few things to remember:
- Set up the ladder on a secure/flat surface.
- Use proper footwear.
- Watch out for overhead risks.
- If possible, have a helper to steady the ladder.
Besides ladder safety, you also need to be aware of how many plugs you are putting into your outlets. Outlets that are overloaded can end up overheating and then cause a fire. Learn how to avoid overloading a circuit.
You may not know this but roughly three-quarters of fires that happen in December and January are related to Christmas trees. Be proactive in preventing a fire. Here are a few ways to do so:
- Pick a tree that looks fresh. A way to tell is fresh pine needles will bend but not break.
- Keep your tree watered.
- Keep it away from heat.
- Make sure the lights you are using are not faulty and don’t have them plugged in when you’re not around.
Additional Decorating Safety Tips
- Be careful where you place lit candles. Make sure there is nothing too close to them that could catch on fire. Never have candles lit when unattended.
- Keep indoor lights away from anything that is flammable.
- Keep any extension cords knot and twist-free.
- If you have pets, be aware of how you decorate. Keep any small items away from their level.
As always, have a happy and safe holiday season!
Advocate Insurance has over 20 years experience in the safety risk management and employee productivity fields. We also have the experience to help with your commercial insurance needs as well as car insurance and home owners insurance. Advocate Insurance has assisted individuals in and around Reading PA with car insurance and home owners insurance. We work with businesses in Reading PA and around the Berks County area with risk management and safety training services.